Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tannenbaum, bulb, bulk

I helped take down our church's giant Christmas tree today. Normally I would leave right after service, but I'm looking for small windows of opportunity.

Also, I asked a few members of the church's Green Team about fluorescent bulb disposal. If you haven't been keeping up with the YoP comments, Lewis asked how to properly dispose of a fluorescent bulb, because they have small amounts of mercury in them. I found a guy at church who has some information that he's going to bring next week, so tune in for that. He says there are a few facilities around here that are specifically designed to handle them, but they have very limited hours.

For now, check out:
* Relevant FAQs from General Electric
* Earth911.org, where you can search recycling facilities by zip code
* LampRecycle.org

So I hope that answers your question, and maybe next week I'll have a few more pearls of wisdom for ya. ;) I wonder if I can create a place at Heritage where members can drop off bulbs, and then drive batches of them to the facility myself? The things never die, so it's frustrating to drive one bulb out to some recycling center, but if we collect them at church and periodically drive a batch over... hmm...

Bradley and I also did another paper dump (ew) at church-- the paper dumpster (as in a dumpster for paper, not a dumpster made of paper) was almost full. Such a small, easy thing to do-- and it's great to see our efforts adding up like that. I'm still a little skeptical about recycling things like paper, but I've already noticed that we have less trash at home.

Oh! And I wanted to mention that my friend Alison gave me a belated Christmas present: she sewed me some canvas shopping bags! She knows I'm "off" plastic bags, and has even witnessed me trying to juggle things in my arms as I walk to my car. (I'm horrible about remembering my totes.) The bags are gorgeous (brown and sparkly!) and I love them to death. :D

No comments: