Thursday, January 10, 2008

Foodstuffs

It's been a couple of days because my place of employment sent me to New York. For business-- they weren't just sick of me. But I'm back now, and trying to get into the swing of things.

Small act of sweetness: I baked cookies. Now, I am a mess in the kitchen, but I can bake a mean cookie. Also, I use Splenda Blend for Baking and Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and they are absolutely fantastic. So, if Splenda wants to do its own philanthropy and send me some free product for this glowing review, that'd be awesome. ;)

I baked cookies specifically for two purposes: to thank my dad's friend Robert for helping me tow my car (currently out of commission), and to thank my mom for driving me to the airport for the aforementioned business trip. I also had a ton of extra cookies at home... had, because dad and Bradley have already polished them off. I'm counting that as accidental philanthropy. ;)

Today I was thinking about my recent lack-of-philanthropy on the way to work, and I noticed that The Homeless Guy was out. There aren't too many homeless people hanging around the area where I work, because it's not a very trafficked couple of blocks. But there is one guy that I've seen in the area for most of the 2.5 years I've been at the office.

I don't like to give money to homeless people. It's just one of my things. And yes, a lot of it stems from the "I don't know what you'll use it for" mentality. Is that bad? Anyway, I was on my way to pick up my lunch, so I intentionally ordered something that came with a side salad, and I offered it to him on my way back to the office. (I even remembered dressing and a fork.) He took it gratefully, but I still felt a little conflicted.

I'd love your opinion on this matter: is giving food to a homeless person a good idea, or should I have stuck to change? I feel like it might almost be demeaning, to give food... but I don't know. Any thoughts on this?

11 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

Giving food to a homeless person is a FANTASTIC idea! Infinitely better than cash.

Good job. 4 stars for you. (That's a perfect score. I made that up just now!)

Unknown said...

Aw, thank you! Maybe it's stupid, but I even worry about food allergies and stuff. I mean, I don't want to make life WORSE for them...

Thank you. I am cheered up. ;) Now I'm striving for four stars...

Erica said...

I am also torn about this subject. I think what you did was a great thing. Finding food and a place to sleep for the night are two things that the homeless are constantly in search of.

But then again, I knew a guy who offered a homeless man a day's worth of paid work. The homeless man laughed and told him he'd make more than what my friend had offered him by just panhandling. So I guess I'm jaded.

The best thing I've been able to do as a librarian is give homeless people or struggling families information about community centers and non-profit organizations that they can go to for help. I guess I figure if they truly want to better themselves, they will seek help - and if I can help them along the way, then I've done something good.

david b mclaughlin said...

here is an idea for ya:

http://www.junkycarclub.com/

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I think it's a better idea to give a homeless person food instead of cash, but I understand the concern "What will they spend the money on?" I always give money, for a variety of reasons. Starting with the small--while beggars can't be choosers, maybe the guy really loves strawberries, and sure a salad is better than nothing, but there's something really nice about being able to have a little choice about what you are going to eat. I know people who have talked to the routine homeless person who they pass regularly on their way to work, and they know how they like their coffee, or what they actually WANT to eat, and sometimes pick it up for them when they are getting their own breakfast. Which makes it a little more personal.

Personally I tend to give money, just because I feel like it offers a little more respect, and a sort of trust. Like saying "I'm going to trust that you actually need this money for something other than booze or drugs." And maybe half the time, that trust IS abused... but the other half the time, maybe it has an impact.

Anyway, I say: Get to know your friendly neighborhood homeless person if he seems approachable and it's not in some dark alleyway.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate your guys' viewpoints on these things. It's tough, isn't it?

@Hello: You're probably right... I don't always have change/cash on me, though, so maybe that's something I need to work on. Or maybe foodplace gift cards? Maybe that's taking it too far.

Unknown said...

Hey, I'd love a Starbucks or Subway or Dunkin Donuts gift card and I'm not even homeless. So I'd say there's nothing wrong with giving one to someone who is homeless. Although, Starbucks probably wouldn't be too happy with you, if you started filling up their establishment with homeless people carrying giftcards from you. :P

Unknown said...

I know there tends to be a common perception that homeless people are homeless because they don't want to work, or they are lazy, or lack ambition, and that if they really wanted to, they could find a job and a place to live and it's just a matter of getting in there and doing it. Personally, I tend to believe that's very rarely the case... laziness and lack of ambition do not a homeless person make. We have a lot of unambitious, lazy people taking unfair advantage of our welfare system, and they have a roof over their heads and fried chicken on their dining room table.

A lot of those living on the streets have serious psychological illnesses, and are unaware of resources that are out there for them. Not that there are such great resources available anyway.

And it can be hard to get into a shelter... you've seen The Pursuit of Happyness probably.

Of course, you still have your junkies out there too. I won't deny you that.

Anyway, you're on the right track if you are more concerned with how to Help, rather than being too suspicious of where your effort and money is going. I've spent too much time with people more concerned with their 5 bucks being spent on crack than on the possibility that they could be providing someone with a luxury that we typically take for granted, like a warm deli breakfast.

Unknown said...

@Hello: You bring a number of great points to the table. Thank you again.

Are you someone I know?

luckeyfrog said...

I heard about someone giving McDonalds dollars, or small gift cards ($5 or something). That way you're not giving cash that can be spent anywhere, but they can still get food that they'd like, and when they want it.

I'd bet even just talking to them for a few minutes, if they're friendly and in a safe area, would be great too. You might just brighten their day a little, or maybe even learn something about them that would enable you to do something a bit more personal but still helpful?

Unknown said...

The McDonald's Dollar Menu will fill your belly for minimal cash, though it will probably destroy every organ in your body and actually suck the vitamins right out of your bones.

I always say, don't feed a homeless person anything you wouldn't send in your kid's lunch to school.

Okay, I've never actually said that before.