Saturday, February 9, 2008

Drops in the Bucket


When you're tuned in to philanthropic opportunities, you can be overwhelmed pretty quickly. I typically glaze over at cash registers, for instance, what with all the "would you like to give a dollar to x foundation?" questions I've been pummeled with.

But today I tried to tune back in, and was granted two small opportunities. The first was at Starbucks-- apparently my local branch is collecting donations of coffee for local firemen, police officers, etc. Kind of hard to say no to, really. Anyway, I gave 1/4 lb., for a grand total of $2.73.

Then I had the delight of visiting the BMV for new license plates. The woman who helped me ("Tanya," based on my receipt) was really nice and incredibly efficient, and when she asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to Save Our Sight, I said yes. Last night I'd explored the possibility of getting license plates that benefit something like organ donation, but they're too expensive-- $1 is really more up my alley.

(Aside: If you live in Ohio, this unofficial DMV site is really quite helpful, if ad-crazy. Much more navigable than the official site.)

Such small drops in the bucket, I know, but I'm hoping it's like voting... my part is small, but vital?

No comments: