Friday, March 28, 2008

Earth Hour 2008

I've been amiss with my posts lately, which is unlike me, and I apologize. Things are just a little hectic right now!

But I've been "supporting thrift stores" like crazy lately... which is to say, doing a lot of thrift store shopping. Salvation Army is still my fave, but I hit up Goodwill from time to time, too. And as much as I like the eclectic stuff I come home with, I really do think about the difference it makes to reuse things... these clothes aren't being trashed, they're finding a new home with me. I'm also supporting good causes through both S.A. and Goodwill.

This weekend won't see the giant post I was hoping for, but I do want to at least put the word out about Earth Hour 2008. The basic gist: everyone turns out their lights for one hour (8-9pm) as a statement about climate change. I was introduced to the project through my friend Krystan, and I gave her my word that when March 31st rolled around, I'd shut off my lights proudly.

I'll be out of town, so my friends have agreed to have a "candle party" with me... which is great, because it has suddenly gone from 2 people (me + my brother) to 5 or more people involved with Earth Hour.

Anyone else on board? It's a very simple endeavor...

3 comments:

Ryan said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7319929.stm

Lewis said...

Ummm...the Earth Hour website says it happened tonight (3/29). Unfortunately I missed the hour already.

I'd be happy to support your mini-earth hour on Monday by turning off my lights at 8pm EST. How bout it?

By the way, supposedly P&G is involved. I wonder if they turned off the lights downtown tonight?

Unknown said...

Lewis: I would totally recognize the effort as valid. :D