Saturday, June 14, 2008

Postlay

Alright, "Postlay" was supposed to be the counter to "Prelay," but it ended up sounding like something else altogether. ;) At any rate, I'm home and rested after a fun night at Relay for Life.

Bradley and I only ended up spending around 3 hours there, from about 11pm to 2am. I had hoped to stay longer but I was zonked, and needed to be awake enough for the 45-minute drive home. But in those 3 hours I had a great time talking with my friend Kate, her brother Nick, and of course my constant companion The Bradster.

We were disappointed to find that the event had been moved indoors-- if you've ever been to a Relay, you know that there's a very unique experience tied to being outdoors all night, having hundreds of people circle you on the track as you watch the stars or cut the heck out of your fingers in a forzen t-shirt contest.

When Kate called to say that the event would be moved to the Harrison High School Activity Center I was hoping that the same energy and unique experience would still be there, but I have to say it wasn't. All of the fun and games, instead of happening in the nucleus of an outdoor track, took place in some room out in the lobby. Instead of pitching tents all across the field, people slept on the hard floor on sleeping bags, or in camp chairs pulled into a remote corner. And most depressingly, by the time Bradley and I left at 2, there were only a handful of people still walking the track. There were still 10 hours to go! Last year was pretty miserable by noon but there were still probably 2 dozen people sticking it out. I don't know if there was anyone at the resolution today, but some part of me kind of doubts it. (In the end, it didn't even rain.)

But! We still had a great time and it was fantastic to meet up with Kate again (and meet her hermano). If I find out how much the event raised for cancer research I will let you know-- I'd bet they pulled in a lot of money, because there were some fantastic vendors there with all kinds of delicious foods and creative raffles. Not to mention the necessary Miss Relay contest...


And as if this post weren't scrolling quite long enough yet, here are two quick videos that I took during the walk. The first: Bradley on his third lap. The second: an impromptu dance to "Only the Good Die Young," which is an entirely inappropriate song to be playing at a cancer vigil.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Haha, "postlay"

I totally agree. I've been to 3 Relays, and have performed with the Ship of Fools there at all of them.

First 2 years - outdoors, it's dark, cold, and miserable - and a rite of passage. We suffer together, and bond because of it.

This year - indoors, the acoustics were terrible, it was way too bright and noisy, and it was cushy. Attendance was up, though.

I prefer the former.

Dr. Alex said...

I was only able to stay and help set up our tent for the Norwood Young Professionals' group at the beginning of the event. I'm glad to see that you came and frequented Norwood and helped be a part of the Relay for Life!