Saturday, May 3, 2008

More blood from turnips

I know, I know. It's been a while. I have plenty to talk about but I've been out of time lately. Today, however: a mitzvah!

It has been eight weeks since I last donated blood, which means it's time again to bare the ol' arm. But this time I was not alone in my endeavor-- my brother Bradley has been old enough as of January, barely weighs enough, and has been excited to jump on the Year of Philanthropy train.


We've been prepping since yesterday... chugging water and taking iron and whatnot. On the drive to Hoxworth I gave Bradley the run-through of what to expect when we were there.

My appointment was a little earlier than his, so I went first... no problems in screening, even with iron. Yea! And when I got to The Chair, of course there were problems finding a vein. Of course there were. But they called in a woman nicknamed "Radar" who can supposedly always find a vein, and a few awkward squeezes and jabs later, I was all hooked up.

And here's where it gets funny: Bradley wasn't even hooked up until I was already in the middle of my donation, and still almost beat me to being finished. He has been taunting me all day with how he's a better blood donor than I am... but if you've been following this blog at all, you know I'm already the worst in the world anyway, so it pretty much rolled off my back.

So that is two successful blood donations today! And for myself, three this year! Next one should be at the end of June, but I'll make sure to post here before then. ;)

2 comments:

Bradley said...

You're by far, not the worst blood donor. You're a lot better than most people

*gives a look at people who haven't given any blood.* that means you people.

Not Laura Ingalls said...

I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me! I am a terrible donor like yourself and had long ago given up donating, after they sent me away for lack of a good vein. I'm going to give the iron and water a shot! Thanks!