Friday, December 28, 2007

Year of Philanthropy: Inauguration

Actually, this project doesn't kick off until January 1st, 2008... but that's no reason to hold up the admin, right? I'm setting up this blog prematurely so that all my ducks are in a row for 2008-- I've also set up a Google Calendar (see link, top right) in case anyone wants to follow stuff that way-- I just thought it'd be another interesting way for me to chart what I'm doing.

So let me talk about this project for a few minutes. I've been really, really excited about it for a few weeks now. Every year, instead of a "resolution," I choose a word that I want to apply to the entire year. Last year it was "balance," and before that, "stability." Both of those words served me very well, but I'm looking forward to acting on something more concrete this year.

I chose to focus on philanthropy this year. It's more specific than "balance," but it's still very open-ended, allowing me to interpret it in a ton of different ways.

This year is not about writing checks to charities, although hopefully that will be an element. It's more about person-to-person goodwill. Some ideas of how I want to attack this:

* Helping out/supporting my friends more. (I have a track record of putting work ahead of friendstuffs. That sucks.)
* Participate in more charity events, with a special focus on Relay for Life (which I've been a part of for the past two years, walking and performing).
* Become more involved in my church, which I've been holding at arm's length for a while.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Please leave them here in the comments, or email me at redrabbit [at] gmail [dot] com. I blog because it's collaborative and that inspires me.

Alright, well that's enough for now, especially since I'm a couple of days ahead of myself. Come on, 2008!

5 comments:

JenLo said...

Hey! Following you from Church Hop. I think your idea sounds like such a great undertaking--I'm sure it will have big payoff in your life.

I focused on "giving" this past year as well, and found that when I was able to give personally in some way (whether time, money or attention) I felt much more blessed than when I gave on a corporate level (either as part of a group or to a group). Sounds like you already have planned to have a balance of both.

david b mclaughlin said...

glad you're alive and well! been missing your blogging!

since you're plugging your new blog i'll plug mine! just click on my used id and you'll see my new book and then Voyage Radio is my new podcast.

i'll be keepingin touch with the new blog. sounds great!

Ryan said...

Suggestions: try and fit as many blood donations in a 12 calendar year as possible (while also being safe). Also, I challenge you to give money to Miami University.

Rachel said...

Hey, about a year ago crossroads did this thing called 'kingdom' for 6 weeks ... it is basically what you are talking about doing here. I can get you the DVDs and study guide we used ... it was a WONDERFUL guide to think about the why behind what we were doing.

So glad that you made it to Awaited -- it was wonderful to be a part of. Sorry I didn't send out the personal invite -- crazy busy getting ready for baby Peters.

Unknown said...

Yea! Visitors! Before I even have content! I'm moving up in the world. ;)

@Jenlo: Good to see you again! I'm pumped about this project.

@David: You have a ton of blogs going! Feels good, doesn't it? I'll follow as best as I can... ;)

@Ryan: I forgot to mention the blood thing. Totally in my plans for the year. As for Miami... *grits teeth* We'll see...

@Rachel: I miss you! There's a new baby on the way?! I am so happy for you! I'll email you if I find a free minute...

@Everyone: I hope your holidays are going well! We're almost into 2008! *squeal*